Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Dance


George and I met at the Church of the Epiphany for a delightful program performed by the Word Dance Theater.

The word word refers to the surname of the Artistic Director, Cynthia Word. I was tricked by this. I expected a performance including music, dance, and spoken language.

Word Dance Theater pays homage to Isadora Duncan's technique, philosophy and revolutionary spirit, pushing the performing arts to new limits.

In the photo above you can see some of the dancers. I know, I know. Not a great photo but I was in the back row and this was taken after the performance. You can make out two dancers - one in an orange gown on the left and the other in red on the right.

What struck me the most was the grace of the dancers. How they moved their bodies with such lightness and beauty to some beautiful classical music as well as the French National Anthem.

We went next door to Au Bon Pain for lunch. I regret that I forgot to take photos of the two of us.

PROGRAM

PROLOGUE; PROCESSIONAL

Figlio Perduto by Sara Brightman
Twirling Mazurka by Frederick Chopin

CELEBRATING THE CENTENNIAL OF THE 19th AMENDMENT/WOMEN'S RIGHT TO VOTE

Call to Arms
La Marseilles
Revolutionary Etude (Etude in D-sharp minor, Op. 8, No. 12 by A. Scriabin)
Prelude No 22 by Frederick Chopin

Women's Sisterhood
Classic Duet (German dance, D. 783, No 10 by Franz Schubert)
Slow Mazurka (Mazurka in A Minor, Op. 17, No. 4 by F. Chopin)

DANCES TO CHOPIN

Death and the Maiden (Chopin)

Orientale (Chopin)

Berceuse (Chopin)

FINALE

Prelude in B Flat (Sergei Rachmaninoff)

No comments: