Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Discussion with potluck

Tim and Glenda have certainly mastered the art of hosting a dinner party. They graciously hosted our SON Reading Circle tonight.

Glenda set a lovely table and prepared a delicious warm pasta salad as the entree.

Tim offered an array of marvelous drinks. I loved the mint iced tea and, of course, one of my old Italian favorites, Moscato. (Ah, memories!)

Everyone contributed food. Special mention should be given to Barbara who ordered two poppyseed cakes, chocolate chip cookies, and lemon bars from a friend who is launching her catering business. I found the lemon bars especially wonderful.

John brought a new and improved version of his speciality - asparagus. The stalks were tender and tasty.

Marie brought a wonderful new Norwegian cheese - Snofrisk. It was creamy and very nice. I also brought cheese - sharp cheddar and Swiss cheese - but my offering could not compete with Marie's. I was upstaged.

Joel and Barbara, Christine, Tim, John, and Marie

We discussed Vidar Sundstol's book, The Devil's Wedding Ring. The enthusiasm of most was lukewarm. The book had its interesting points but the red herrings weren't always credible. And several members were not too keen on the protagonist. Marie thought Max was stupid to jump into bed with one of the potential suspects and Christine thought he had forgotten his wife of 25 years too quickly. Most agreed that the history relating to the stave church and the pagan statue/St. Niklas was interesting. I think the bottom line was that the book was worth reading.

Disclaimer: I am not sitting on a chair in this photo, I am uncomfortably perched in mid-air. I am trying hard to smile while my knees are killing me.

No comments: