Tuesday, June 05, 2018

Everyone should really read less!

The 2018 Pulitzer Prize Winner for Fiction, Andrew Sean Greer, drew a huge and very enthusiastic crowd at Washington's premier bookstore, Politics and Prose, last night. (It was standing room only and a lot of people were standing!) He was interviewed by Ron Charles, Editor of the Washington Post's Book World. Andy's responses to Charles and the many members of the audience were brilliant and usually hilarious. It was an extremely joyous event  The place rocked.

Ron Charles (left) and Andrew Sean Greer (right)

Andy's proud father snapped a photo of me greeting his illustrious son. 

He very kindly gave me a copy of the Italian translation of Less, which I am extremely eager to read. I hope it does justice to the original. Then I will read the French translation. The French, however, have dropped the ball. They haven't even translated Less yet! I will leave it up to Bill to read the German and the Norwegian versions and report back to me.  

I am very interested in the art of translation. One of the very best books I have ever read is Umberto Eco's fascinating book on the subject, Dire quasi la stessa cosa. Esperienze di traduzione.

I enjoyed meeting up with Norbert, Richard, and Yuki at the event. Unfortunately, I missed my dear friend Ginny.

No comments: