Wednesday, September 06, 2017

The Big Four


I am a huge fan of the programs offered by the Smithsonian Associates and I attended an excellent lecture tonight. What had appealed to me at first when I read the description of this particular lecture was the name of T.S. Eliot. I have been a great admirer of his ever since I read "The Wasteland" in my junior year at Washburn High.

This lecture focused on the four major writers to introduce modernism in 1922 to the literary world. The other three in this important quartet were close friends of Eliot: Virginia Woolf, E.M. Forster, and D.H. Lawrence.

The speaker was Bill Goldstein, who had just published his book entitled The World Broke in Two. He took the title of his book from something Willa Cather had said,

                                       The world broke in two
                                       In 1922.

It was a watershed year in which these four writers reacted to the writers before 1922 and invented the language of the future.

No comments: