Thursday, September 28, 2017

An Early Fall Evening

Janet and I metroed into the District to attend an event at the Smithsonian, "T.S. Eliot: Daring to Disturb the Universe."


Before descending into the depths of the Ripley Center, we enjoyed our brown bag dinners above ground on a table in the beautiful garden between the two museums of African and Asian Art. Janet is pointing to the sign in the garden that indicates the temporary exhibit of "Plants in Pots." (I forgot to take photos of either the pots or the table.)

Then we went inside to a marvelous presentation by author Daniel Stashower, who explored the life and legacy of T.S. Eliot, and actor Scott Sedar, who gave dramatic readings of a selection of Eliot's poetry (including "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" and "The Waste Land").

Our friend Ginny arrived just in time for the beginning of the presentation.

Stashower began by talking about Eliot's friendship with Groucho Marx. I didn't know anything about this relationship! I also heard that, although he was very much an Anglophile, Eliot said that he was fortunate to have been born in St. Louis and this city (and especially its river) had shaped his character. The 20th century can be called "The Age of Eliot." Not only was Eliot the greatest poet, he was also the greatest literary critic of the century.

With the 3rd line of "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock' - "like a patient etherised upon a table" -
there was a seismic shift and this is where modern poetry began.

Stashower also talked about the great influence of Dante and Shakespeare on Eliot's work. I knew this and remembered Eliot saying, "Dante and Shakespeare divide the world. There is no third."

It was apparently his friend Ezra Pound who convinced him not to return to the US but to remain in England where he would have more success. "Old Possum" was Pound's name for Eliot and it was used in the title of Eliot's well-known poem. Pound's name was "Brer Rabbit." Both nicknames were taken from the Uncle Remus stories.

The ashes of Eliot were interred in East Coker with a plaque bearing two lines from one of his poems, "In my beginning is my end" and "in my end is my beginning."

After the presentation we stayed for the reception. Delicious cake was served. Ginny immediately went  for a big piece of scrumptious chocolate cake while Janet and I eagerly chose delicious pieces of white cake. None of us, however, partook of the sherry. We also had the opportunity to chat with Sedar about his recordings of Eliot's poetry. You can listen to him reading "The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock" and "The Hollow Men" on his website, http://sedarthestudio.com/actor/.


Ginny is trying to be silly!.She succeeds! 

(Unfortunately, it was a very windy day and it made my need for a haircut seem even more desperate.)

We were all very excited after this marvelous event. I have been a huge fan of Eliot ever since high school. One of the highlights of my life was seeing Eliot in person and  listening to him read from "The Four Quartets" on November 25, 1961 in New York City. Here is what I wrote in my copy of this book:

A dream come true! On Saturday evening, November 25, 1961, Judith Raymond and I heard T.S. Eliot read selections from his poetry. As a memory I bought this book which will always bring to mind this wonderful experience. Eliot's last selection was "Little Gidding" which, he said, "is perhaps the best thing I ever wrote."

No comments: