Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Birthday Lunch with George

I took George to Proof for his birthday lunch. Much to my surprise, he had never been to this restaurant, one of my very favorite DC restaurants.

 George and Christine at Proof (located directly across the street from the Smithsonian Museum of American Art and the Portrait Gallery)

Entrance to the exhibit

After lunch George rushed home to see the latest installment of the Ken Burns' series on the Vietnam War while I went to see "The Face of Battle: Americans at War, 9/11 to Now." It was a very moving exhibit of photographs.

What moved me the most was a room with very large photographs of the bedrooms left behind by soldiers who went to war and never returned.

The words of Emily Prince were on the wall:

"How can we make the absent present? What is the presence of absence?" 

My mind wandered away from this exhibit and from thoughts of war to my own home. I struggle continually to keep Andrea present in my home.

No comments: