Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Danish Artist

My friend Mary is a member of the National Museum of Women in the Arts and invited me to a members-only preview of "The Anne Archer and the Skagen Art Colony" exhibit. We opted for one of the tours and it was excellent!

Anne Ancher lived from 1859-1935 and was "one of the few female painters to have achieved a successful professional career in the second half of the nineteenth century" (from the exhibit catalogue). Google her and read her fascinating life history and look at some of her wonderful paintings. I became an instant fan!

When this museum opened 25 years ago, there was a lot of controversy. Did we or did we not need a museum dedicated only to the art of  women? I think the answer is yes. Without this museum I may never have been introduced to Anne Ancher and I would have been the poorer for it.

And this museum is absolutely beautiful as you can see from the photos below. It is breathtakingly beautiful! It is interesting to note that this structure used to be a fancy movie theater.

We decided to stay at the museum for lunch. I had an absolutely delicious vegetable quiche!

                                 Mary at our table in the restaurant on the mezzanine of the museum.

 A view from our table

 Other tables

 A view of the ground floor of the museum, a popular venue for balls


No comments: