Saturday, February 28, 2009

Smithsonian Museums: My Kind of A Day!

I had a wonderful day today! I visited three Smithsonian museums.

Ripley Center


I attended an all-day workshop on Memoir Writing presented by GW Professor of English H.G. Carrillo in the Ripley Center. It was stimulating and informative.

During the breaks I visited the two new photographic exhibits, "Road to Freedom:Photographs of the Civil Rights Movement, 1956-1968," and "After 1968: Contemporary Artists and the Civil Rights Legacy."


National Museum of the American Indian

A view of the Indian Museum

Another view of the Indian Museum

For lunch, I dashed down to the Indian Museum. I love its food court with foods representing the cuisine of all the Indian tribes in North and South America. I had a wild rice and watercress salad and a red beet potato side dish.

Wild rice and watercress salad

Red Beet and Potato Side Dish (hard to photograph white on white)

Hirshhorn Museum

The Hirshhorn Museum (affectionately known as The Doughnut/Donut)

On my way back to the Ripley Center after lunch, I ducked into the Hirshhorn to see the much-publicized exhibit of American artist Louise Bourgeois. It was fascinating! I particularly liked the spiders and the cave sculpture in which she and her siblings feast on their father's remains.

This advertises the exhibit and shows the first sculpture in the exhibit which is breath-taking (notice the body has no head).

Crouching Spider


No comments: