Thursday, March 29, 2018

What is Home?

I went with my friends George and John to Do Ho Suh's "Almost Home" exhibit at the Smithsonian Museum of American Art. Suh's art shows "his experience of relocation, transience, and rootlessness." 

Suh writes: "Home is everywhere and nowhere... When I was growing up in my home in Korea, I never thought about it twice... After I left, ... home started to exist as an issue and started to occupy me."

Home is also an issue that occupies me a lot. I, therefore, found this exhibit stimulating.

The centerpiece of Doh's exhibit is a series of "hub" sculptures that visitors can walk through. Each hub represents a place Suh has called home. One first walks through the pink hub that represents New York, then through the green hub that represents Berlin, and finally through the blue hub that represents Seoul. These hubs and their accessories are made from a gauzy colored fabric and visitors must walk carefully not to damage the fabric. Only two people are allowed to enter at one time and must go through without jackets or bags. 

The blue hub representing Seoul

George and John
John
A radiator made from a very light fabric

It is a very thought provoking exhibit. What do you remember about your homes? Which ones were  really home? What do they mean to you today as you look back? What about where you live today? How much have you felt at home in your homes?

After viewing "Almost Home," we went to view the marvelous portrait of President Obama. It is remarkable! A masterpiece!

We then enjoyed a simple lunch in the museum's courtyard.

No comments: