Monday, October 09, 2017

Artists in Wartime

George highly recommended this exhibit at the Air and Space Museum, "Artist Soldiers: Artistic Expression in the First World World," to John and me.  So today we met him there and found the exhibit very interesting.

Entrance to the exhibit 


Shifting country borders 

It was very interesting to contrast Europe in 1914 and 1923.

 The U.S. government commissioned eight artists to paint scenes of WW I. Here are a few of the works of art:

  

Helping an ally 

 

As the introduction to the exhibit stated, photographs show the more shocking effects of war while paintings bring out the immediacy of war. 

These paintings definitely brought out the more personal nature of the conflict.

I think a war has more meaning when one knows someone who fought in the war. My father's three Norwegian uncles fought in WW I - Henry, Sever, and Oscar.

I remember hearing a lot about Uncle Henry, who returned from the war "shell-shocked" or with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), as we would say today.



No comments: