Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Lunch with Betsy; Birds

I met my friend Betsy for lunch at Jaleo's in the District. We had a wonderful conversation and a wonderful lunch of delicious grilled cheese sandwiches.

I forgot to take a photo of Betsy!

Betsy gave me a lovely Christmas present. She found it in a Scandinavian shop in Rehobeth. It is the Julenisse wishing you God Jul! Isn't he adorable?


Then I walked a block away to the two Smithsonian museums - American Art and the Portrait Gallery.

 The courtyard between the two museums was decked out in floral Christmas splendor.



My primary objective was to visit the bird exhibit.



This mural of the extinct passenger pigeon was at the entrance. This bird became extinct in 1914, exactly 100 years ago.

Passenger Pigeons

I could not take any photos inside the exhibit unfortunately but you can go to the website and see the incredible art for yourself. My favorite artist was Tomaselli. My favorite work of art: "The Migrant Fruit Thugs" (two Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks are stealing the fruit from the artist's fig trees).

Go to http://americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/online/birds/index.cfm

If you live in the DC area, go to see this beautiful exhibit. I plan to return. It is marvelous!

No comments: